I have a Opensolaris snv_134 machine with 2 x 1.5TB drives. One is a Samsung
Silencer the other is a dreaded Western Digital Green.

I'm testing the mirror for failure by simply yanking out the SATA cable while
the machine is running. The system never skips a beat, which is great. But the
reconnect behaviour is vastly different on the two drives.

1. Samsung reconnect. `cfgadm` reported the drive as connected but
unconfigured. After running `cfgadm -c configure sata1/1`, the drive
automatically came online in the zpool mirror and resilvered its differences
which completed in about 10 seconds. This excellent.

2. WD Green reconnect. `cfgadm` reported the drive as disconnected. I had to
use the '-f' option to connect the drive and then configure it:

m...@vault:~$ cfgadm
Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
sata1/0                        sata-port    disconnected unconfigured failed
sata1/1::dsk/c8t1d0            disk         connected    configured   ok
m...@vault:~$ pfexec cfgadm -c connect sata1/0
cfgadm: Insufficient condition
m...@vault:~$ pfexec cfgadm -f -c connect sata1/0
Activate the port: /devices/p...@0,0/pci8086,4...@1f,2:0
This operation will enable activity on the SATA port
Continue (yes/no)? yes
m...@vault:~$ cfgadm
Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
sata1/0                        disk         connected    unconfigured unknown
sata1/1::dsk/c8t1d0            disk         connected    configured   ok
m...@vault:~$ pfexec cfgadm -c configure sata1/0
m...@vault:~$ cfgadm
Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant     Condition
sata1/0::dsk/c8t0d0            disk         connected    configured   ok
sata1/1::dsk/c8t1d0            disk         connected    configured   ok

After this point, zpool resilvered the entire 243GB dataset.

I suspect that the automatic connect is simply a firmware problem and yet
another reason to NOT BUY Western Digital Green drives.

But my real question is: Why does zpool want to resilver the entire dataset on
drive, but not the other??