On 07/ 9/10 09:21 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Suppose I have a fileserver, which may be zpool 10, 14, or 15. No compression, no dedup.

Suppose I have a backupserver. I want to zfs send from the fileserver to the backupserver, and I want the backupserver to receive and store compressed and/or dedup'd. The backupserver can be a more recent version of zpool than the fileserver, but right now, whatever they are, they're the same as each other. And I think it's 10, and I think I have 15 available if I upgrade them. (Obviously I can get accurate details on the exact versions, if it matters.)

I have created the destination filesystem with compression. And now my question ...

Can I "zfs send" from the fileserver to the backupserver and expect it to be compressed and/or dedup'd upon receive? Does "zfs send" preserve the properties of the originating filesystem? Will the "zfs receive" clobber or ignore the compression / dedup options on the destination filesystem?

Yes. Unless they are explicitly set on the source file system. I replicate to a build 134 box with dedup enabled from an older server.

--
Ian.