Folks,

This is probably a very naive question.

Is it possible to set zfs for bi-directional synchronization of data across two
locations? I am thinking this is almost impossible. Consider two files A and B
at two different sites. There are three possible cases that require
synchronization:

   1. A is changed. B is unchanged.
   2. B is changed. A is unchanged.
   3. A is changed. B is changed.

While it is possible to achieve synchronization for the first two cases, case 3
requires special merging and is almost impossible.

I am thinking it is the same problem even at the block level.

Even to achieve 1 and 2 is a bit tricky given the latency between the two
sites. Is there anything in zfs that makes it easier?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,
Peter