> I've found plenty of documentation on how to create a
> ZFS volume, iscsi share it, and then do a fresh
> install of Fedora or Windows on the volume.

Really?  I have found just the opposite: how to move your functioning
Windows/Linux install to iSCSI.

I am fumbling through this process for Ubuntu on a laptop using a Frankenstein
mishmash of PXE -> gPXE -> menu.cfg -> sanboot -> grub -> initrd -> Ubuntu.

The initial install is through Ubuntu's netboot pxelinux.0 files which make
iSCSI installs fairly painless as long as there are no initiator restrictions
on the LUN.

I couldn't find the magic formula in dnsmasq (on my router) to set the target
and initiators which is needed to allow multiple devices to see their own iSCSI
volumes, so I used a ${uuid} suffix for both in a gPXE menu.cfg file.

Stranger still, it seems that only one LUN can be allocated system-wide, so I
can't map LUN0 to target iqn.foo and another LUN0 to target iqn.bar, which
means each initiator gets a non-zero LUN.  It doesn't seem to bother the iSCSI
stacks, but it bugs me.

The other poster is correct, all of this has to match in gPXE, initrd and
Ubuntu.

Either I am more daft than I thought (always a safe choice), or the same thing
is very difficult in Windows.  To be honest, I have not braved a raw Windows
install to iSCSI yet, but will once I conquer Ubuntu.

The advantage of going straight to iSCSI is that the zvol can be arbritrarily
large and you only allocate the blocks which have been touched.  If you install
to a disk then do the dd if=localdisk of=iSCSIdisk approach, the zvol will be
completely allocated.  Worse, the iSCSI volume is limited to the size of the
original disk, which kind of misses the point of thin provisioning.

Good luck.