I've been looking at using consumer 2.5" drives also, I think the ones I've
settled on are the hitachi 7K500 500 GB. These are 7200 rpm, I'm concerned the
5400's might be a little too low performance wise. The main reasons for hitachi
were performance seems to be among the top 2 or 3 in the laptop drive segment,
I've found hitachi to be pretty reliable, and perhaps most importantly is there
is the hitachi feature tool, which allows you to disable the head unload
feature. You don't need to set it on each reboot, plus it's persistent across
reboots.