On 2010-Jul-25 21:12:08 +0800, Ben <ben.lav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've read a small amount about compression, enough to find that it'll effect
>performance (not a problem for me) and that once you enable compression it
>only effects new files written to the file system.
>Is this still true of b134?  And if it is, how can I compress all of the
>current data on the file system?  Do I have to move it off then back on?

Yes, changing things like compression, dedup etc only affect data written
after the change.  The only way to re-compress everything is to copy it off
and back on again.

Good news: There is an easy way to do this and preserve (whilst
compressing) all your snapshots.  All you need to do is set
compression=gzip (or whatever you want) and then do a send/recv of
that filesystem.  The destination fileset will be completely created
according to the source fileset parameters at the time of the send.

If you have sufficient free space, you can even do a send|recv on the
same system - but if the original fileset was mounted that this will
result in the new fileset being mounted over the top of it, so you
shouldn't do this on an active system.

--
Peter Jeremy