I'm trying to understand how snapshots work in terms of how I can use them for
recovering and/or duplicating virtual machines, and how I should set up my file
system.

I want to use OpenSolaris as a storage platform with NFS/ZFS for some
development VMs; that is, the VMs use the OpenSolaris box as their NAS for
shared access.

Should I set up a separate ZFS file system for each VM so I can individually
snapshot each one on a regular basis, or does it matter? The goal would be to
be able to take an individual VM back to a previous point in time without
changing the others.

Thanks