On Aug 3, 2010, at 9:29 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> - Second question, how about this: partition the two X25E drives into two,
> and then mirror each half of each drive as log devices for each pool.  Am I
> missing something with this scheme?  On boot, will the GUID for each pool get
> found by the system from the partitioned log drives?
> IIRC several posts in here, some by Cindy, have been about using devices
> shared among pools, and what's said is that this is not recommended because
> of potential deadlocks.

No, you misunderstand. The potential deadlock condition occurs when you
use ZFS in a single system to act as both the file system and a device.  For
example, using a zvol on rpool as a ZIL for another pool.  For devices
themselves,
ZFS has absolutely no problem using block devices as presented by partitions or
slices. This has been true for all file systems for all time.
 -- richard

--
Richard Elling
rich...@nexenta.com   +1-760-896-4422