I've been running OpenSolaris on my Dell Precision Workstation T7500 for 9
months, and it works great. It's my default desktop operating system, and I've
had zero problems with hardware compatibility.

I also have installed EON 0.600 on my Dell PowerEdge T410 (not so different
from your R510). A few words of caution:

1. Beware of the onboard controllers. The "RAID" controller on that motherboard
only works in Windows; neither Linux nor OpenSolaris can recognize drives
attached to it at all. So I was stuck running in "ATA" mode at the beginning,
which is awful in terms of performance.

2. I'd also recommend avoiding the PERC cards, in particular since it makes
drives attached to it impossible to transport to another system. Instead, I use
the SAS 6i/R controller. That's built into the motherboard on the PW T7500, and
I got one separately for the PE T410. That works well, and is completely fine
with OpenSolaris. I'd recommend those, because then you can be sure to get the
cabling from Dell (which in the case of the PowerEdge, was completely
nonstandard). And if the card fails, they'll replace it ASAP, which isn't
necessarily the case with other vendors' cards.

So aside from the RAID controller and cabling issues on the PE T410, I've had
nothing but good experiences in terms of Dell Precision workstations and
PowerEdge servers, running OpenSolaris.