Of course this has been discussed extensively, but I believe, the reasons for
ZFS not to be in Linux kernel go beyond just the license incompatibility.

ZFS does raid, and mirroring, and resilvering, and partitioning, and NFS, and
CIFS, and iSCSI, and device management via vdev's, and so on.  So ZFS steps on
a lot of linux peoples' toes.  They already have code to do this, or that, why
should they kill off all these other projects, and turn the world upside down,
and bow down and acknowledge that anyone else did anything better than what
they did?

No, they just want a copy-on-write filesystem, and nothing more.  Something
which more closely complies to the architecture model that they're already
using.

Something which doesn't hurt their ego when they accept it...  And of course by
"they" I'm mostly referring to Linus.  And all the people who work on kernel,
ext fs, software raid, and all these other things which already exist in a
"More Linuxy" way...