On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 21:25 +1200, Ian Collins wrote:
> On 08/19/10 08:51 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Ian Collins<i...@ianshome.com>  wrote:
> >

> >> A quick test with a C++ application I'm working with which does a lot of
> >> string and container manipulation shows it
> >> runs about 10% slower in 64 bit mode on AMD64 and about the same in 32
> >> or 64 bit on a core i7. Built with -fast.
> >>
> > This may be a result of the way the libC you are using was compiled.
> >
> > Try to compare performance tests that only depend on code you did write by
> > your
> > own.
> >

> Most of the C++ standard library (at least the containers part I'm
> using) is header only code, so it is mainly code I compile my self.
>
> Not using libC is somewhat impractical in real world applications!

Not if the program isn't written in C++!

The binary compatibility problems (plus a million other reasons) of C++
make me strongly urge people not to choose C++ as the language for their
project unless they are forced to by other constraints.  (And then they
will have to live with the consequent problems.)

        -- Garrett