> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of devsk
>
> If dedup is ON and the pool develops a corruption in a file, I can
> never fix it because when I try to copy the correct file on top of the
> corrupt file,
> the block hash will match with the existing blocks and only reference
> count will be updated. The only way to fix it is to delete all
> snapshots (to remove all references) and then delete the file and then
> copy the valid file. This is a pretty high cost if it is so (empirical
> evidence so far, I don't know internal details).

Um ... If dedup is on, and a file develops corruption, the original has
developed corruption too.  It was probably corrupt before it was copied.
This is what zfs checksumming and mirrors/redundancy are for.

If you have ZFS, and redundancy, this won't happen.  (Unless you have
failing ram/cpu/etc)

If you have *any* filesystem without redundancy, and this happens, you
should stop trying to re-copy the file, and instead throw away your disk and
restore from backup.

If you run without redundancy, and without backup, you got what you asked
for.