Christopher George wrote:
What is a "NVRAM" based SSD?

It is simply an SSD (Solid State Drive) which does not use Flash, but does use power protected (non-volatile) DRAM, as the primary storage media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

I consider the DDRdrive X1 to be a NVRAM based SSD even though we delineate the storage media used depending on host power condition. The X1 exclusively uses DRAM for all IO processing (host is on) and then Flash for permanent non-volatility (host is off).

NVRAM = non-volatile random access memory.  It is a general category.
EEPROM = electrically-erasable programmable read-only memory. It is a specific type of NVRAM. Flash memory = memory used in flash devices, commonly NOR or NAND based. It is a specific type of EEPROM, which in turn is a specific type of NVRAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-volatile_random_access_memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

He means a DRAM based SSD with NVRAM (flash) backup vs. SSDs that use NVRAM (flash) directly. This class of SSD may use DDR DIMMs or may be integrated. Almost all of these devices that retain their data upon power loss are technically NVRAM based. (Exception could be a hard drive based device that uses a DRAM cache equal to its hard drive storage capacity.) It is effectively what you would get if you had a regular flash based SSD with an internal RAM cache equal in size to the nonvolatile storage plus enough energy storage to write out the whole cache upon power loss.

I doubt there would be any additional performance beyond what you could see from a RAMDISK carved from main memory (actually there would probably be theoretical lower performance because of lower bus bandwidths). It does effectively solve the problems posed by motherboard physical RAM limits and of an unexpected power loss due to failed power supplies or failed UPSes.