I have another question to add to the two you already asked and answered.

Why not two separate machines, one for XP, one for zfs/raid?  At today's
network speeds, hooking a cable between those two would provide any speed data
access to the files in the raid that you want. A suitable ZFS machine could sit
in another room if you want the quiet for home theater.

The idea of having one set of hardware run everything is clever, and
virtualizing everything is neat, efficient - and complicated.

Now that Oracle has gutted Open Solaris, I'm forced to once again articulate
why I got into Open Solaris about a year ago - I wanted ZFS, and was willing to
go learn Open Solaris to get it. ZFS was a powerful motivator. But I can get
what I need there with just a ZFS back end machine; and last-generation
hardware is very, very cheap. For me, the UN complication of using two hardware
setups is well worth it.