Hi!

2010/9/23 Gary Mills <mi...@cc.umanitoba.ca>

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 05:48:09PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> >
> > We're using ZFS via iSCSI on a S10U8 system. As the ZFS Best
> > Practices Guide http://j.mp/zfs-bp states, it's advisable to use
> > redundancy (ie. RAIDZ, mirroring or whatnot), even if the underlying
> > storage does its own RAID thing.
> >
> > Now, our storage does RaID and the storage people say, it is
> > impossible to have it export iSCSI devices which have no redundancy/
> > RAID.
>
> If you have a reliable Iscsi SAN and a reliable storage device, you
> don't need the additional redundancy provided by ZFS.

Okay. This contradicts the ZFS Best Practices Guide, which states:

# For production environments, configure ZFS so that
# it can repair data inconsistencies. Use ZFS redundancy,
# such as RAIDZ, RAIDZ-2, RAIDZ-3, mirror, or copies > 1,
# regardless of the RAID level implemented on the
# underlying storage device. With such redundancy, faults in the
# underlying storage device or its connections to the host can
# be discovered and repaired by ZFS.

> > Actually, were would there be a difference? I mean, those iSCSI
> > devices anyway don't represent real disks/spindles, but it's just
> > some sort of abstractation. So, if they'd give me 3x400 GB compared
> > to 1200 GB in one huge lump like they do now, it could be, that
> > those would use the same spots on the real hard drives.
>
> Suppose they gave you two huge lumps of storage from the SAN, and you
> mirrored them with ZFS.  What would you do if ZFS reported that one of
> its two disks had failed and needed to be replaced?  You can't do disk
> management with ZFS in this situation anyway because those aren't real
> disks.  Disk management all has to be done on the SAN storage device.

Yes. I was rather thinking about RAIDZ instead of mirroring.

Anyway. Without redundancy, ZFS cannot do recovery, can
it? As far as I understand, it could detect block level corruption,
even if there's not redundancy. But it could not correct such a
corruption.

Or is that a wrong understanding?

If I got the gist of what you wrote, it boils down to how reliable
the SAN is? But also SANs could have "block level" corruption,
no? I'm a bit confused, because of the (perceived?) contra-
diction to the Best Practices Guide… :)

Best regards,

Alexander
--