On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Peter Taps <ptr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Command "zpool status" reports disk status that includes read errors, write
> errors, and checksum errors. These values have always been 0 in our test
> environment. Is there any tool out there that can corrupt the state? At the
> very least, we should be able to write to the disk directly and mess up the
> checksum.

The following works well:
  dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/disk-node bs=1M count=1 seek=whatever

Change bs (block size) and count (number of blocks) to change the
amount of corruption you cause.  Change seek (number of blocks to
skip) to change the location of the corruption on the disk.  And check
disk-node to select the disk to corrupt.

If you have long enough cables, you can move a disk outside the case
and run a magnet over it to cause random errors.

Plugging/unplugging the SATA/SAS cable from a disk while doing normal
reads/writes is also fun.

Using the controller software (if a RAID controller) to delete
LUNs/disks is also fun.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com