>Typically on most filesystems, the inode number of the root
>directory of the filesystem is 2, 0 being unused and 1 historically
>once invisible and used for bad blocks (no longer done, but kept
>reserved so as not to invalidate assumptions implicit in ufsdump tapes).
>
>However, my observation seems to be (at least back at snv_97), the
>inode number of ZFS filesystem root directories (including at the
>top level of a spool) is 3, not 2.

Buggy files may have all types bad assumptions; this problem isn't new:
the root filesystem of a zone is typically in a simple directory of a
filesystem with ufs.

I seem to remember that flexlm wanted that the root was an actual root
directory (so you can run only one copy).  They didn't realize that faking
the hostid is just too simple ....

Casper