On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Linder, Doug wrote:

Is there any technical difference between using "zfs unmount" to unmount a ZFS filesystem versus the standard unix "umount" command? I always use "zfs unmount" but some of my colleagues still just use umount. Is there any reason to use one over the other?

No, they're identical. If you use 'zfs umount' the code automatically maps it to 'unmount'. It also maps 'recv' to 'receive' and '-?' to call into the usage function. Here's the relevant code from main():

                /*
                 * The 'umount' command is an alias for 'unmount'
                 */
                if (strcmp(cmdname, "umount") == 0)
                        cmdname = "unmount";

                /*
                 * The 'recv' command is an alias for 'receive'
                 */
                if (strcmp(cmdname, "recv") == 0)
                        cmdname = "receive";

                /*