> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Walker
>
> We are a running a Solaris 10 production server being used for backup
> services within our DC. We have 8 500GB drives in a zpool and we wish
> to swap them out 1 by 1 for 1TB drives.
>
> I would like to know if it is viable to add larger disks to zfs pool to
> grow the pool size and then remove the smaller disks?
>
> I would assume this would degrade the pool and require it to resilver?

Because it's a raidz, yes it will be degraded each time you remove one disk.
You will not be using "attach" and "detach."  You will be using "replace"

Because it's a raidz, each resilver time will be unnaturally long.  Raidz
resilver code is inefficient.  Just be patient and let it finish each time
before you replace the next disk.  Performance during resilver will be
exceptionally poor.  Exceptionally.

Because of the inefficient raidz resilver code, do everything within your
power to reduce IO on the system during the resilver.  Of particular
importance:  Don't create snapshots while the system is resilvering.  This
will exponentially increase the resilver time.  (I'm exaggerating by saying
"exponentially," don't take it literally.  But in reality, it *is*
significant.)

Because you're going to be degrading your redundancy, you *really* want to
ensure all the disks are good before you do any degrading.  This means,
don't begin your "replace" until after you've completed a scrub.