> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Ian D
>
> the help to community can provide.  We're running the latest version of
> Nexenta on a pretty powerful machine (4x Xeon 7550, 256GB RAM, 12x
> 100GB Samsung SSDs for the cache, 50GB Samsung SSD for the ZIL, 10GbE
> on a dedicated switch, 11x pairs of 15K HDDs for the pool).  We're

If you have a single SSD for dedicated log, that will surely be a bottleneck
for you.  All sync writes (which are all writes in the case of iscsi) will
hit the log device before the main pool.  But you should still be able to
read fast...

Also, with so much cache & ram, it wouldn't surprise me a lot to see really
low disk usage just because it's already cached.  But that doesn't explain
the ridiculously slow performance...

I'll suggest trying something completely different, like, dd if=/dev/zero
bs=1024k | pv | ssh othermachine 'cat > /dev/null' ...  Just to verify there
isn't something horribly wrong with your hardware (network).

In linux, run "ifconfig" ... You should see "errors:0"

Make sure each machine has an entry for the other in the hosts file.  I
haven't seen that cause a problem for iscsi, but certainly for ssh.