On 10/11/10 05:13 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Osol b134

I'm experiencing a forced shutdown of a machine.
It is proceeded with a number of beeps in a steady pattern like

   beep beep           beep beep           beep beep

And onward.  2 beeps pause 2 beeps pause... etc.

The beeps are the same tone on each set of beeps but each has its own
tone.  So its .. hi low pause hi low pause .. etc

I'm not sure what it means but it appears to be somewhat serious since
it will shutdown the machine at some point... and not too long about
it.

I suspect some fairly serious hardware problem.  The machine is
somewhat old 7-8 yrs and is:
athlon64 +3400 (cpu (might be) 2.2Ghz or so)

It has 3 sets of mirrored discs

2 Sets of 500gb (WD)
1 set  of 750gb (WD)

I'm running the machine on a KVM and had the opensolaris machine off
the switch while having a laptop sharing the KVM.  I've been using ssh
to login to the problem machine up until now... and now no ssh comes
up when I boot it.

I know I will have to rerig things and connect mouse, keyboard,
monitor direct to the problem machine, but once that is done is there
some sort of semi-standard way of booting to an emergency set of tools
to try to see what the problem is?

I won't have a lot of time, before the machine shuts down.  Maybe 1/2
hr or so.

I'm kind of having a brain freeze about this:
So what are the standard tests or cmds to run to collect enough data
to try to make a determination of what the problem is?

Your motherboard manual would be the best place to look, it sounds like the BIOS reporting something (failed fan?)

And if worse case turns out to be the case and I have to get a new
machine or some new hardware, can anyone offer a small outline of the
steps that would be needed to move those discs to a new setup?

Plug them in.

You will probably have to boot form a live CD, export and re-import the root pool to get it to boot.

--
Ian.