Another article concerning Sandforce performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3667/6

Evidently, since the Sandforce controllers do deduplication to reduce writes,
write performance with highly random data suffers relative to 'normal' data. In
particular:

"Sequential write speed actually takes the biggest hit of them all. At only
144.4MB/s if you're writing highly random data sequentially you'll find that
the SF-1200/SF-1500 performs worse than just about any other SSD controller on
the market. Only the X25-M is slower. While the impact to read performance and
random write performance isn't terrible, sequential performance does take a
significant hit on these SandForce drives."

Unfortunately, this article doesn't actually compare performance for writes of
random data between different controllers, it just says that the random data
write performance of the Sandforce is worse than everything but the X25-M
relative to their 'normal' data write performance. Do other controllers do
dedup on written data like Sandforce?

When I read this I thought that it kind of eliminated Sandforce drives from
consideration as SLOG devices, which is a pity because the OCZ Vertex 2 EX or
Vertex 2 Pro SAS otherwise look like good candidates.

-Will