> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Ian D
>
> ok... we're making progress.  After swapping the LSI HBA for a Dell
> H800 the issue disappeared.  Now, I'd rather not use those controllers
> because they don't have a JBOD mode. We have no choice but to make
> individual RAID0 volumes for each disks which means we need to reboot
> the server every time we replace a failed drive.  That's not good...

I believe those are rebranded LSI controllers.  I know the PERC controllers
are.  I use MegaCLI on Perc systems for this purpose.

You should be able to find a utility which allows you to do this sort of
thing while the OS is running.

If you happen to find that MegaCLI is the right tool for your hardware, let
me know, and I'll paste a few commands here, which will simplify your life.
When I first started using it, I found it terribly cumbersome.  But now I've
gotten used to it, and MegaCLI commands just roll off the tongue.

> To resume the issue, when we copy files from/to the JBODs connected to
> that HBA using NFS/iSCSI, we get slow transfer rate <20M/s and a 1-2
> second pause between each file.   When we do the same experiment
> locally using the external drives as a local volume (no NFS/iSCSI
> involved) then it goes upward of 350M/sec with no delay between files.

Baffling.