With an A64, I think a thermal shutdown would instantly halt CPU
execution, removing the chance to write any kind of log message.
memtest will report any errors in RAM; perhaps when the ARC expands to
the upper-stick of memory it hits the bad bytes and crashes.

Can you try switching power supplies? removing unnecessary add-on
cards? Swapping mobos?

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Toby Thain <t...@telegraphics.com.au> writes:
>
>> On 27/10/10 4:21 PM, Krunal Desai wrote:
>>> I believe he meant a memory stress test, i.e. booting with a
>>> memtest86+ CD and seeing if it passed.
>>
>> Correct. The POST tests are not adequate.
>
> Got it. Thank you.
>
> Short of doing such a test, I have evidence already that machine will
> predictably shutdown after 15 to 20 minutes of uptime.
>
> It seems there ought to be something, some kind of evidence and clues
> if I only knew how to look for them, in the logs.
>
> Is there not some semi standard kind of keywords to grep for that
> would indicate some clue as to the problem?

--khd