On Nov 9, 2010, at 12:24 PM, Maurice Volaski wrote:

>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/?chs=847
>>
>> Stay away from the 24 port expander backplanes. I've gone thru several
>> and they still don't work right - timeout and dropped drives under load.
>> The 12-port works just fine connected to a variety of controllers. If you
>> insist on the 24-port expander backplane, use a non-expander equipped LSI
>> controller to drive it.
>
> I was wondering if you can clarify. Isn't the case that all 24-port
> backplane utilize expander chips directly on the backplane to support
> their 24 ports or are they utilized only when something else, such as
> another 12-port backplane, is connected to one of the cascade ports in the
> back?

I think he is referring to the different flavors of the 847, namely the one
that uses expanders (E1, E2, E16, E26) vs. the one that does not (the 847A).
This page about a storage server build does a very good job of detailing all
the different versions of the 847:

http://www.natecarlson.com/2010/05/07/review-supermicros-sc847a-4u-chassis-with-36-drive-bays/

--Ware