> I'd also note that in the future at some point, we won't be able to purchase
> 512B drives any more. In particular, I think that 3TB drives will all be 4KB
> formatted. So it isn't inadvisable for a pool that you plan on expanding to
> have ashift=12 (imo).

One new thought occurred to me; I know some of the 4K drives emulate 512 byte
sectors, so to the host OS, they appear to be no different than other 512b
drives. With this additional layer of emulation, I would assume that ashift
wouldn't be needed, though I have read reports of this affecting performance. I
think I'll need to confirm what drives do what exactly and then decide on an
ashift if needed.