> I'm using these drives for one of the vdevs in my pool. The pool was created
> with ashift=12 (zpool binary
> fromĀ http://digitaldj.net/2010/11/03/zfs-zpool-v28-openindiana-b147-4k-drives-and-you/),
> which limits the minimum block size to 4KB, the same as the physical block
> size on these drives. I haven't noticed any performance issues. These
> obviously aren't 7200rpm drives, so you can't expect them to match those in
> random IOPS.

The Seagate datasheet for those parts report 512-byte sectors. What is
the deal with the ST32000542AS: native 512-byte sectors, native
4k-byte sector with selectable emulation, or native 4k-byte sectors
with 512-byte sector emulation always on?

Also, just a side note, I believe these drives achieve their
"low-power" status with the reduced RPM (5900rpm), not with the head
parking style power-management that WD Green drives use? The latter
I've read is rather unsuitable for RAID operation (especially with HW
RAID controllers).