On 5 Dec 2010, at 16:06, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <r...@karlsbakk.net> wrote:

>> Hot spares are dedicated spares in the ZFS world. Until you replace
>> the actual bad drives, you will be running in a degraded state. The
>> idea is that spares are only used in an emergency. You are degraded
>> until your spares are no longer in use.
>>
>> --Tim
>
> Thanks for the clarification. Wouldn't it be nice if ZFS could fail over
> to a spare and then allow the replacement as the new spare, as with what
> is done with most commercial "hardware" RAIDs?

If you use "zpool detach" to remove the disk that went bad, the spare is
promoted to a proper member of the pool. Then, when you replace the bad disk,
you can use "zpool add" to add it into the pool as a new spare.

Admittedly, this is all a manual procedure. It's unclear if you were asking for
this to be fully automated.