> From: Edward Ned Harvey
> [mailto:opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com]
>
> In order to test random reads, you have to configure iozone to use a data set
> which is much larger than physical ram.  Since iozone will write a big file
> and
> then immediately afterward, start reading it ...  It means that whole file
> will
> be in cache unless that whole file is much larger than physical ram.  You'll
> get
> false read results which are unnaturally high.
>
> For this reason, when I'm using an iozone benchmark, I remove as much ram
> from the system as possible.

Sorry.  There's a better way.  This is straight from the mouth of Don Capps,
author of iozone:

            If you use the -w option, then the test file will be left behind.

            Then reboot, or umount and mount…

            If you then use the read test, without the write test and again use
-w,
            then you will achieve what you are describing.

            Example:

            iozone -i 0 -w -r $recsize -s $filesize

            Umount, then remount

            iozone -i 1 -w  -r $recsize -s $filesize