From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Phil Harman
Sent: 20 December 2010 10:43
To: Lanky Doodle
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] A few questions

> Why does resilvering take so long in raidz anyway?

Because it's broken. There were some changes a while back that made it more
broken.

There has been a lot of discussion, anecdotes and some data on this list.

The resilver doesn't do a single pass of the drives, but uses a "smarter"
temporal algorithm based on metadata.

However, the current implentation has difficulty finishing the job if
there's a steady flow of updates to the pool.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to get bounded resilver times is to stop
the workload until resilvering is completed.

The problem exists for mirrors too, but is not as marked because mirror
reconstruction is inherently simpler.

I believe Oracle is aware of the problem, but most of the core ZFS team has
left. And of course, a fix for Oracle Solaris no longer means a fix for the
rest of us.