On 20/12/2010 19:26, Geoff Nordli wrote:
I guess he has some application he can imprison into a specific read-only
subdirectory, while some other application should be able to read/write or
something like that, using the same username, on the same machine.

It is the same application, but for some functions it needs to use read-only
access or it will modify the files when I don't want it to.

An other alterntative is if the application is running on Solaris then you can run it with the basic file_write privilege removed. This basic privilege was added for exactly this type of use case.

$ ppriv -e -s EPIL=basic,!file_write myapp

If it is being started by an SMF service you can remove file_write in the method_credential section - see smf_method(5).

--
Darren J Moffat