On 1/3/2011 8:28 AM, Richard Elling wrote:
On Jan 3, 2011, at 5:08 AM, Robert Milkowski wrote:
On 12/26/10 05:40 AM, Tim Cook wrote:
On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Richard Elling <richard.ell...@gmail.com <mailto:richard.ell...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    There are more people outside of Oracle developing for ZFS than
    inside Oracle.
    This has been true for some time now.

Pardon my skepticism, but where is the proof of this claim (I'm quite certain you know I mean no disrespect)? Solaris11 Express was a massive leap in functionality and bugfixes to ZFS. I've seen exactly nothing out of "outside of Oracle" in the time since it went closed. We used to see updates bi-weekly out of Sun. Nexenta spending hundreds of man-hours on a GUI and userland apps isn't work on ZFS.

Exactly my observation as well. I haven't seen any ZFS related development happening at Ilumos or Nexenta, at least not yet.

I am quite sure you understand how pipelines work :-)
 -- richard

I'm getting pretty close to my pain threshold on the BP_rewrite stuff, since not having that feature's holding up a big chunk of work I'd like to push.

If anyone outside of Oracle is working on some sort of change to ZFS that will allow arbitrary movement/placement of pre-written slabs, can they please contact me? I'm pretty much at the point where I'm going to start diving into that chunk of the source to see if there's something little old me can do, and I'd far rather help on someone else's implementation than have to do it myself from scratch.

I'd prefer a private contact, as I realize that such work may not be ready for public discussion yet.

Thanks, folks!

Oh, and this is completely just me, not Oracle talking in any way.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support