Thanks, Marion.

(I actually got the drive labels mixed up in the original post... I edited it
on the forum page:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=511057#511057 )

My suspicion was the same: the drive doing the slow i/o is the problem.

I managed to confirm that by taking the other drive offline (c8t0d0 samsung),
and the same stalls and slow i/o occurred.

After putting the drive online (and letting the resilver complete) I took the
slow drive (c8t1d0 western digital green) offline and the system ran very
nicely.

It is a 4k sector drive, but I thought zfs recognised those drives and didn't
need any special configuration...?