Hi I wanted to get some expert advice on this. I have an ordinary hardware
SAN from Promise Tech that presents the LUNs via iSCSI. I would like to use
that if possible with my VMware environment where I run several Solaris /
OpenSolaris virtual machines. My question is regarding the virtual disks.

1. Should I create individual iSCSI LUNs and present those to the VMware
ESXi host as iSCSI storage, and then create virtual disks from there on each
Solaris VM?

 - or -

2. Should I (assuming this is possible), let the Solaris VM mount the iSCSI
LUNs directly (that is, NOT show them as VMware storage but let the VM
connect to the iSCSI across the network.) ?

Part of the issue is I have no idea if having a hardware RAID 5 or 6 disk
set will create a problem if I then create a bunch of virtual disks and then
use ZFS to create RAIDZ for the VM to use. Seems like that might be asking
for trouble.

This environment is completely available to mess with (no data at risk), so
I'm willing to try any option you guys would recommend.

Thanks!

--
Mark