On Tue, Feb 15 at 11:18, Erik ABLESON wrote:
Just wondering if an expert can chime in on this one.

I have an older machine running 2009.11 with a zpool at version
14. I have a new machine running Solaris Express 11 with the zpool
at version 31.

I can use zfs send/recv to send a filesystem from the older machine
to the new one without any difficulties. However, as soon as I try
to update the remote copy with an incremental send/recv I get back
the error of "cannot receive incremental stream: invalid backup
stream".

I was under the impression that the streams were backwards
compatible (ie a newer version could receive older streams) which
appears to be correct for the initial send/recv operation, but
failing on the incremental.

Sounds like you may need to force an older pool version on the
destination machine to use it in this fashion, since it's adding data
to a stream that has been converted to use the new pool when you recv
it.

I could be wrong though, we update our pools in lockstep and err on
the side of backwards compliance with our multi-system backup.

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmud...@bounceswoosh.org