On Feb 16, 2011, at 6:05 AM, Eff Norwood wrote:

> I'm preparing to replicate about 200TB of data between two data centers using
> zfs send. We have ten 10TB zpools that are further broken down into zvols of
> various sizes in each data center. One DC is primary and the other will be
> the replication target and there is plenty of bandwidth between them (10 gig
> dark fiber).
>
> Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of? Also, at what level should I
> be taking the snapshot to do the zfs send? At the primary pool level or at
> the zvol level? Since the targets are to be exact replicas, I presume at the
> primary pool level (e.g. "tank") rather than for every zvol (e.g.
> tank/prod/vol1)?

There is no such thing as a pool snapshot. There are only dataset snapshots.

The trick to a successful snapshot+send strategy at this size is to start
snapping
early and often. You don't want to send 200TB, you want to send 2TB, 100 times
:-)

The performance is tends to be bursty, so the fixed record size of the zvols
can
work to your advantage for capacity planning. Also, a buffer of some sort can
help
smooth out the utilization, see the threads on ZFS and mbuffer.
 -- richard