> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of David Blasingame Oracle
>
> Keep pool space under 80% utilization to maintain pool performance.

For what it's worth, the same is true for any other filesystem too.  What
really matters is the availability of suitably large sized unused sections
of the hard drive.  The larger the total space in your storage, the higher
the percentage of used can be, while maintaining enough unused space to
perform reasonably well.  The more sequential your IO operations are, the
less fragmentation you'll experience, and the less a problem there will be.
If your workload is highly random, with a mixture of large & small
operations, with lots of snapshots being created and destroyed all the time,
then you'll be fragmenting the drive quite a lot and experience this more.

The 80% or 90% thing is just a rule of thumb.  But you positively DON'T want
to hit 100% full.  I've had this happen and been required to power cycle and
remove things in single user mode in order to bring it back up.  It's not as
if 100% full is certain to cause a problem...  I can look up details if
someone wants to know...  There is a specific condition that only occurs
sometimes when 100% full, which essentially makes the system unusable.

But there is one specific thing, isn't there?  Where ZFS will choose to use
a different algorithm for something, when pool usage exceeds some threshold.
Right?  What is that?