On 28/02/11 02:51 PM, Dave Pooser wrote:
On 2/27/11 10:06 PM, "James C. McPherson"<j...@opensolaris.org>  wrote:
2nd controller
c16t5000CCA222DDD7BAd0
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340c@5/pci1000,3020@0/iport@2/disk@w5000cca222ddd7ba,0

3rd controller
c14t5000CCA222DF8FBEd0
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340e@7/pci1000,3020@0/iport@1/disk@w5000cca222df8fbe,0
c18t5000CCA222DEAFE6d0
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340e@7/pci1000,3020@0/iport@2/disk@w5000cca222deafe6,0
c19t5000CCA222E0A3DEd0
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340e@7/pci1000,3020@0/iport@4/disk@w5000cca222e0a3de,0
c20t5000CCA222E046B7d0
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340e@7/pci1000,3020@0/iport@8/disk@w5000cca222e046b7,0
c17t5000CCA222DF3CECd0
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340e@7/pci1000,3020@0/iport@20/disk@w5000cca222df3cec,0

So I mentioned I'm dense tonight, right? Is the key there where it says
340<x>@<y>, so each controller will have a different letter associated
with it and a different number after the @? (That is, presumably in this
system there's a 340b@4 and a 340d@6 if I add more drives and try 'format'
again?)

So you've got two controllers

/pci@0,0/pci8086,340c@5/pci1000,3020@0
and
/pci@0,0/pci8086,340e@7/pci1000,3020@0

which are in different slots on your motherboard and connected to
different PCI Express Root Ports - which should help with transfer
rates amongst other things. Have a look at /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
for 340[0-9a-f] after the line which starts with 8086.

The addresses are hexadecimal, and based on the probe order for each
slot, as well as on the PCI Express device id. Figuring out what the
unit address (after the "@") is for this part of the device path is
deep magic that's contained within the nexus driver for the bus type;
in this case, pcie.

Your 2nd controller is attached to
340c  5520/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 5

while the 3rd is attached to
340e  5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 7

You mention 340b and 340d - these are
340b  5520/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 4
and
340d  5520/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 6

Now, just to make things more complex, you can have different root nodes
as well as pci-to-pci-X and pci-to-pci-E bridges, and depending on what
your BIOS thinks is going on, you'll see different nexus(es) in use.

If you want to dig into this more, I suggest that we take the discussion
offline and that you send me a copy of the output from "prtconf -v" and
"fmtopo -dV" run as root.

cheers,
James
--