Hi all

This is a production issue I have outstanding for several months now.
I asked here a while ago but didn't reach a resolution. I have also
got the question up on serverfault.com, question 192927

I have a FreeNAS 0.7.2 box, based on FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p1, running
ZFS with 4x1TB SATA drives in RAIDz1.

I appear to have lost 1TB of usable space after creating and deleting
a 1TB sparse file. This happened months ago.

This table lays out the situation as it stands.

command         actual             expected           ok/not ok

du -c           1.47TB used        1.47TB used        ok

zfs list        used 2.48TB        used 1.47TB        not ok
                avail 206GB        avail 1.2TB        not ok

zpool list      size 3.64TB        size 3.64TB        ok
                used 3.31TB        used 1.95TB        not ok
                avail 334GB        avail 1.69TB       not ok

Windows right   Disk size 2.67TB   Disk size 2.67TB   ok
  click disk,   Used 2.47TB        Used 1.47          not ok
  properties    free 206GB         free 1.2TB         not ok

Windows select  total file size    total file size
  all files,      1.48TB             1.48TB           ok
  right click,
  properties

Some information

 - No snapshots anywhere in the pool
 - Compression is off
 - De-dupe is off
 - ZFS pool verion is 13
 - ZFS FS version is 3
 - Using the "embedded" version of FreeNAS
 - File was created with dd using /dev/zero as input, deleted using
rm, all as root
 - File has definitely been deleted
 - Windows 7 can see the folder via SMB
 - Exported the pool from FreeBSD, imported it on OpenIndiana 148 -
but not upgraded - same problem, much newer ZFS implementation. Can't
upgrade the pool to see if the issue goes away since for now I need a
route back to FreeBSD and I don't have spare storage.

Any help whatsoever would be much appreciated - something's not right here.

Many thanks
Tom