>On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Arjun YK <arju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let me add another query.
>> I would assume it would be perfectly ok to choose any name for root
>> pool, instead of 'rpool', during the OS install. Please suggest
>> otherwise.
>
>Have you tried it?
>
>Last time I try, the pool name is predetermined, you can't change it.
>I tried cloning an exsisting openinstallation manually, changing the
>pool name in the process. IIRC it works (sorry for the somewhat vague
>detail, it was several years ago).

You can only rename it by exporting it and importing under a different
name.

NOTE: when you modify your root pool on a different system, throw away the
zfs.cache file.  (Earlier implementation of a bug where if you rename your
root pool and then your re-import it under a different name, zfs claims to
have found two pools and then starts to corrupt them)

Casper