On May 4, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Victor Latushkin wrote:

> Try
>
> echo metaslab_debug/W1 | mdb -kw
>
> If it does not help, reset it back to zero
>
> echo metaslab_debug/W0 | mdb -kw

That appears to have resolved the issue! Within seconds of making the change
performance has increased by an order of magnitude. I was typing the reply
below when your message came in. Is this bug 7000208?

On May 4, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> Sounds like a nasty bug, and not one I've seen in illumos or
> NexentaStor.  What build are you running?

running snv_151a

Running some synthetic tests right now and comparing the various stats, one
thing that stands out as very different on this system compared to our others
is that writes seem to be going to ~5 mirror sets at a time (of 22 configured.)
The next batch of writes will move on to the next ~5 mirror sets, and so forth
cycling around. The other systems will write to many more mirror sets
simultaneously. This particular machine does not appear to be buffering writes
and appears to be doing everything sync to disk despite having sync/zil
disabled.

I'm trying to do a little more introspection into the zpool thread that is
using cpu but not having much luck finding anything meaningful. Occasionally
the cpu usage for that thread will drop, and when it does performance of the
filesystem increases.