Op 09-05-11 15:42, Edward Ned Harvey schreef:
>> > in my previous
>> > post my arc_meta_used was bigger than my arc_meta_limit (by about 50%)
> I have the same thing.  But as I sit here and run more and more extensive
> tests on it ... it seems like arc_meta_limit is sort of a soft limit.  Or it
> only checks periodically or something like that.  Because although I
> sometimes see size > limit, and I definitely see max > limit ...  When I do
> bigger and bigger more intensive stuff, the size never grows much more than
> limit.  It always gets knocked back down within a few seconds...

I found a script called arc_summary.pl and look what it says.

ARC Size:
         Current Size:             1734 MB (arcsize)
         Target Size (Adaptive):   1387 MB (c)
         Min Size (Hard Limit):    637 MB (zfs_arc_min)
         Max Size (Hard Limit):    5102 MB (zfs_arc_max)

c                         =      1512 MB
c_min                     =       637 MB
c_max                     =      5102 MB
size                      =      1736 MB
arc_meta_used             =      1735 MB
arc_meta_limit            =      2550 MB
arc_meta_max              =      1832 MB

There are a dew seconds between running the script and ::arc | mdb -k,
but it seems that it just doesn't use more arc than 1734 or so MB, and
that nearly all of it is used for metadata. (I set primarycache=metadata
to my data fs, so I deem it logical). So the goal seems shifted to
trying to enlarge the arc size (what's it doing with the other memory???
I have close to no processes running.)

--
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,
dead or alive or by any means, including but not limited to telepathy