On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Paul Kraus <p...@kraus-haus.org> wrote:
> What Newegg was doing is buying drives in the 20-pack from the
> manufacturer and packing them individually WRAPPED IN BUBBLE WRAP and
> then stuffed in a box. No clamshell. I realized *something* was up
> when _every_ drive I looked at had a much higher report of DOA (or
> early failure) at the Newegg reviews than made any sense (and compared
> to other site's reviews).

I picked up a single 5K3000 last week, have not powered it on yet, but
it came in a pseudo-OEM box with clamshells. I remember getting
bubble-wrapped single drives from Newegg, and more than a fair share
of those drives suffered early deaths or never powered on in the first
place. No complaints about Amazon: Seagate drives came in Seagate OEM
boxes with free shipping via Prime. (probably not practical for you
enterprise/professional guys, but nice for home users).

An order of 6 the 5K3000 drives for work-related purposes shipped in a
Styrofoam holder of sorts that was cut in half for my small number of
drives (is this what 20 pks come in?). No idea what other packaging
was around them (shipping and receiving opened the packages).