> So if you bump this to 32k then the fragmented size
> is 512k which tells ZFS to switch to a different metaslab
> once it drops below this threshold.

Makes sense after some more reading today ;)

What happens if no metaslab has a block this large (or small)
on a sufficiently full and fragmented system? Will the new writes
fail altogether, or a sufficient free space block would still be used?

> This is used to add more weight (i.e. preference) to specific
> metaslabs. A metaslab receives this bonus if it has an offset
> which is
> lower than a previously use metaslab. Sorry this is somewhat
> complicated and hard to explain without a whiteboard. :-)

>From recent reading on Jeff's blog and links leading from it,
I might guess this relates to different disk offsets with different
writing speeds? Yes-no would suffice, as to spare the absent
whiteboard ,)

Thanks,
//Jim