On 5/24/2011 8:28 AM, Orvar Korvar wrote:
The netapp lawsuit is solved. No conflicts there.

Regarding ZFS, it is open under CDDL license. The leaked source code that is
already open is open. Nexenta is using the open sourced version of ZFS. Oracle
might close future ZFS versions, but Nexenta's ZFS is open and can not be
closed.

There is no threat to Nexenta from the ZFS code itself; the license that it was made available under explicitly has Oracle allow use for any patents *Oracle* might have.

However, since the terms of the NetApp/Oracle suit aren't available publicly, and I seriously doubt that NetApp gave up its patent claims, it could still be feasible for NetApp to sue Nexenta or whomever for alleged violations of *NetApp's* patents in the ZFS code.

That is, ZFS has no copyright infringement issues for 3rd parties. It has no patent issues from Oracle. It *could* have patent issues from NetApp.

The possible impact of that is beyond my knowledge. IANAL. Nor do I speak for Oracle in any manner, official or unofficial.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support