On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Deano <de...@rattie.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> <snip>
> Hi Matt,
>
> That's looks really good, I've been meaning to implement a ZFS compressor
> (using a two pass, LZ4 + Arithmetic Entropy), so nice to see a route with
> which this can be done.

Cool!  New compression algorithms are definitely something we want to make
straightforward to implement.  I look forward to seeing your results.

> One question, is the extendibility of RAID and other similar systems, my
> quick perusal makes me thinks this is handled by simple asserting a new
> feature using the extension mechanism, but perhaps I've missed something?
> Do
> you see it being able to handle this situation?
> Its of course a slightly tricky one, as not only does it change data but
> potentially data layout as well...

Yes, a feature like RAIDZ3 could be implemented as a "feature_for_read".  It
would be extra nice if the value was a count of RAIDZ3 devices.  That way
you could "zpool upgrade", but if you didn't actually have any RAIDZ3
devices, systems that don't know about RAIDZ3 would still be able to read
it.

> Great work ZFS working group :) Nice to see ZFS's future coming together!

Thank you!

--matt