Thanks, I like this summary format and the effort it took
to produce seems well-spent.

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 08:50:58PM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > but I figured spending 500G on ZIL
> > would be unwise.
>
> You couldn't possibly ever use 500G of ZIL, because the ZIL is required to
> be flushed to disk at least once every 5sec to 30sec (depending on which
> build you're running.)  Even if you have a 4G dedicated log device, that's
> more than plenty for most purposes.

It is also limited to at most half of physical memory, as I
recall. Remember that SZIL is nonvolatile backing store for in-memory
write structures that have to remain until txg close anyway.

Separately, with only 4G of RAM, i think an L2ARC is likely about a
wash, since L2ARC entries also consume RAM.

The extra details provided just confirm that the 3-way-mirror is the
best tweak for this existing system with no cost.

--
Dan.