A reboot and then another scrub fixed this.  Reboot made no difference.  So
after the reboot I started another scrub and now the pool shows clean.

So the sequence was like this:
1. zpool reported ioerrors after a scrub with an error on a file in a snapshot
2. destroyed the snapshot with the error
3. zpool errror changed to hex addressed instead of filename and snapshot name
4. scrubbed pool again and error went away.

All this happened after having a disk go bad.  Started getting lots of hard
errors.  My ZFS monitor script e-mailed me and let me know.  So I added another
disk.  Mirrored the errored pool.  Removed the failing disk and removed that
disk from the pool too. Now running the pool on just the new disk.

 I'm out of ports on this hardware so I can't have a permanent mirror on this
pool.  This pool is only the boot pool anyway so if it where to be lost I
wouldn't loose much.