> Are there estimates on how performant and stable would
> it be to run VirtualBox with a Solaris-derived NAS with
> dedicated hardware disks, and use that from the same
> desktop? I did actually suggest this as a considered
> variant as well ;)
>
> I am going to try and build such a VirtualBox for my ailing
> HomeNAS as well - so it would import that iSCSI "dcpool"
> and try to process its defer-free blocks. At least if the
> hardware box doesn't stall so that a human has to be
> around to go and push reset, this would be a more
> viable solution for my repair-reboot cycles...

If you want good performance and ZFS, I'd suggest using something like
OpenIndiana or Solaris 11EX or perhaps FreeBSD for the host and VirtualBox for
a linux guest if that's needed. Doing so, you'll get good I/O performance, and
you can use the operating system or distro you like for the rest of the
services.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--