On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:51 AM,  <casper....@oracle.com> wrote:
> If a database engine or another application keeps both the data and the
> log in the same filesystem, a snapshot wouldn't create inconsistent data
> (I think this would be true with vim and a large number of database
> engines; vim will detect the swap file and datbase should be able to
> detect the inconsistency and rollback and re-apply the log file.)

Correct.  SQLite3 will be able to recover automatically from restores
of mid-transaction snapshots.

VIM does not recover automatically, but it does notice the swap file
and warns the user and gives them a way to handle the problem.

(When you save a file, VIM renames the old one out of the way, creates
a new file with the original name, writes the new contents to it,
closes it, then unlinks the swap file.  On recovery VIM notices the
swap file and gives the user a menu of choices.)

I believe this is the best solution: write applications so they can
recover from being restarted with data restored from a mid-transaction
snapshot.

Nico